The Planning Division performs current planning functions which include the on-going review and processing of development plans, as well as advance planning for future development needs.
In all of its duties, the Planning Division strives to provide the highest level of customer service and to apply the City’s zoning regulations in an equitable and just manner. The Planning Department is responsible for the following:
- Assisting developers and residents with zoning regulations
- Assisting the general public via in-person visits at the public counter, over the telephone, and email correspondence
- Overseeing initiatives related to Health/Wellness, Recycling issues Assembly Bill (AB) 939, Sewer Fee issues and Stormwater issues (MS4 permit)
- Providing support to the City Council and also serves as the primary liaison to the Planning Commission.
- Reviewing ministerial applications for zoning consistency and permits
The City of South El Monte passed Ordinance 1216 (PDF) on October 24, 2017 prohibiting all commercial cannabis activities in all zones in the City.