Yard Sales

yard sale

The City of South El Monte allows yard sales on the first Saturday of the month in residential zone areas with a Yard Sale Permit. Residents must obtain a permit to hold a yard sale. Permits are available FREE of charge. 

How to Obtain a Yard Sale Permit

  • Online: Download Yard Permit Application (PDF) 
    • Complete Form. Remember to sign and provide proof of South El Monte residency (a copy of ID or utility bill) 
    • Email Form To: customercare@soelmonte.org
    • The deadline for processing online yard sale permits is 12:00 p.m. Thursday of the same week of yard sale.
  • In-Person: City Hall, 1415 Santa Anita Avenue, Monday through Thursday, 7:00 am to 5:30 pm. *City Hall is closed on Major Holidays. 


  •  All yard sales must be conducted by a resident of the property and must not block driveway approach or sidewalk. 
  • Yard sales only allow selling used or unwanted household or personal items, furniture, tools or clothing from property. No sale of new merchandise or other items purchased for resale are allowed. 
  • Food sales are prohibited.
  • Yard signs cannot be posted on traffic signals, streetlights, city trees or in the public right-of-way. 

Enforcement & Penalties

Individuals who fail to comply with the City’s yard sale regulations are subject to an Administrative Citation, which can range from $100 to $500. 


For additional information, please call (626) 242-1666 or email at customercare@soelmonte.org