GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION
Tuesday, November 8, 2022
The City of South El Monte is a general law city governed by a five-member City Council with the Mayor elected At-large. The Mayor and the four Councilmembers are directly elected by the registered voters.
The next general municipal election for the City of South El Monte will be held on Tuesday, November 8, 2022, for two Council seats. A municipal election is held on the first Tuesday in November of even-numbered years. Each December, the Council meets and chooses one of its members as Mayor Pro Tem. The mayor is the presiding officer of the Council.
OPEN SEATS FOR THE NOVEMBER 8, 2022, GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION
Member of the City Council Two (2) Seats, Full Term of Four Year
The nomination period for the November 8, 2022, General Municipal Election is July 18, 2022 – August 12, 2022. If an incumbent does not run, the nomination period will be extended to August 17, 2022. Candidates must be registered voters of the City of South El Monte.
Filing period for "Write-In" Candidates begins September 12 through October 25, 2022. Potential candidates are encouraged to call the City Clerk's Office to schedule an appointment to pick up nomination papers during regular business hours.
The City Clerk serves as the election officer and is responsible for issuance and acceptance of nomination papers, city measures and the publication of necessary legal notices. In addition, all campaign and conflict of interest filings required by the Fair Political Practices Commission are centralized in the City Clerk's Office. For questions, please contact the City Clerk’s Office at (626) 579-6540 x3280.
HOW DO I BECOME A CANDIDATE FOR THE SOUTH EL MONTE CITY COUNCIL?
To qualify as a candidate for member of the City Council, you must reside and be registered to vote within the jurisdiction at the time nomination papers are issued. More specifically, you must be:
- Citizen of the United States
- Registered voter and resident of the City of South El Monte
- 18 years of age or older
Pre-Nomination Period Activities. Prior to soliciting or receiving any contributions related to candidacy, you must file a Statement of Intention Form 501 with the City Clerk’s Office. Please contact the City Clerk’s Office at (626) 579-6540 x3280 if you are planning on soliciting contributions prior to the official filing/nomination period.
- Notice of Election - Spanish (PDF)
- Notice of Election - Vietnamese (PDF)
- Notice to Voters Setting the Deadline for Arguments for City Measure - English (PDF)
- Notice to Voters Setting the Deadline for Arguments for City Measure - Spanish (PDF)
- Notice to Voters Setting the Deadline for Arguments for Measure Submitted to Voters - English (PDF)
- Notice to Voters Setting the Deadline for Arguments for Measure Submitted to Voters - Spanish (PDF)
- Resolution No. 22-43, Calling the November 8, 2022 Election (PDF)
- Resolution No. 22-44, Requesting Consolidation Services with LA County for General Municipal Election (PDF)
- Resolution No. 22-45, Setting Regulations for Candidate Statements (PDF)
- Resolution No. 22-63, Calling an Election with Citizen Cannabis Initiative and requesting Consolidation for Election Services (PDF)
- Resolution No. 22-64, Authorizing Direct Arguments and Ordering Drafting Impartial Analysis for Citizen Cannabis Initiative (PDF)
- Resolution No. 22-65, Authorizing Filing of Rebuttal Arguments for Citizen Cannabis Initiative (PDF)
- Resolution No. 22-68, Calling for an Election with City Cannabis Measure and Requesting Consolidation for Election Services (PDF)
- Resolution No. 22-69, Authorizing Direct Arguments and Ordering Drafting of Impartial Analysis for City Cannabis Measure (PDF)
- Resolution No. 22-70, Authorizing Filing of Rebuttal Arguments for City Cannabis Measure (PDF)
4-DAY VOTE CENTER IN SOUTH EL MONTE
South El Monte Community Center 1530 Central Avenue South El Monte, CA 91733
Days: November 5 - 7, from 10:00 a.m. to 7 p.m. November 8th Election Day, from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
LOS ANGELES COUNTY VOTE CENTERS AND VOTE BY MAIL (VBM) DROP OFF BOX LOCATIONS
To find additional Vote Center locations near you, please visit Find a Vote Center.
To find a Vote by Mail (VBM) Drop Off site near you, please visit Vote By Mail (VBM) Drop Off.
APPLY ONLINE TO BECOME AN ELECTION WORKER IN LOS ANGELES COUNTY
If you are interested in becoming an election worker, please visit About Election Workers for more information.
Online applications are available at Community Election Worker Application.
For election worker assistance, please contact the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk at (800) 815-2666, option 7.